Tuesday, May 15, 2012

From Dorothy Hamill to the Tanning Mom!

I learned something today:  Getting a spray tan and then teaching a sweaty strength training class is NOT a good idea!  I looked like I was rusting! I literally had rust colored six pack ab marks on the front and rust colored spine marks on the back of my light blue tank top! Yikes! I think I would have rather had a hole in my pants than those embarrassing marks on my shirt and streaks of sweat on my face and arms!

Dorothy Hamill
I don't know why I'm so self conscious about how pale my skin color is - perhaps it's because when I was in high school some boys teased me and called me "ghost".  I got teased a lot - I was short, awkward, had bucked teeth and a haircut that made me look like a cross between Dorothy Hamill and Dennis the Menace. (I really wanted to look like Farrah Fawcett, but unfortunately genetics and my mother's love for the pixie hairdo kept me from that).  I guess being teased for the color of my skin bothered me most of all because I knew I could always wear high heels, grow out my hair, and get braces, but the color of my skin was there to stay.  Back in those days, self tanners didn't exist and your only option was to sit in the sun until you could pull up your shorts a little and see a tan line (or in my case, a red blistery burn line).  I tried my best to become more tan, but it's very difficult when you grow up in quite possibly the foggiest place in the world!  I got a lot of fog burns, but I never seemed to get that "Tahitian Goddess" look that I envisioned for myself.  What can I say, I was a dreamer!

Tanning Mom
So, the moral of this story:  Give your spray tan at least 24 hours to set in and dry before you go teach a class (or tell everyone that you're dedicating your class to the "Tanning Mom")!



No comments:

Post a Comment